I'm writing this blog post while I'm teaching (handwriting it, I'll type it in once I get home!). I'm actually supposed to be doing Math Intervention, helping kids with ACT review questions, but the kids didn't come this period. So, needless to say, I'm bored out of my gourd! I'm at Manual today, and they have 80-minute class periods, which makes for a long time with nothing to do this hour! Next I'll have advisory period, then lunch, then science class.
Anyway, this past week, Ryan and I crunched some real numbers for medical school. We had an estimate of how much it would cost, but we hadn't actually sat down and put together a precise budget. We tried to be as accurate as possible, and the numbers were a bit staggering at first, especially when we considered the amount of interest that would accrue until the loan is paid off. But, when we looked at it in terms of what we would gain, it didn't seem so bad. God isn't intimidated by big numbers! He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and he is leading us down this road. It'll be okay!
Still, it did inspire a challenge for myself and some serious scholarship seeking for Ryan. He's applied to nearly 20 scholarships so far, and we're hopeful that his efforts will bear at least a little fruit! Money is such an interesting thing, I think. When you think about a $1,000 scholarship against a healthy 6-figure debt, it seems like peanuts! It seems like a lot of work with little opportunity for return, particularly because Ryan isn't the only one applying for each scholarship. And yet, every little bit is shaving off some expense and is worth Ryan's time in applying. I'm so thankful for all the efforts he has made and pray that the Lord will bless it.
Regarding my challenge I alluded to earlier, I'm only using cash to buy our groceries this month, and I'm not allowed to go to the bank to get more! When it's gone, it's gone! Even if you pay your credit card bill off in full each month, studies have shown that people still spend more than they realize. So far, I'm finding that by using only cash, you are very conscious of the food choices you make, recognizing that there is only a certain amount before the cash runs out. Even though I tried to be cautious before, it makes all the difference when you actually see the cash in that envelope. I've also found that I've made healthier choices too, wanting to get the most nutrition for my family per dollar. I may find that the amount I've given myself is too low or too high for our family's needs, and I can adjust accordingly. I'm having fun so far, but we'll see how the month ends up! At the end, I'll share how it went and what we ate to make it through!
Well, that's all for now. Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment