Thursday, March 21, 2013

Learning to be More Like Mary

I'm not a "just sit" kind of person.  My nature just has a tendency to want to go and do and accomplish.  While that used to translate into schoolwork and job productivity, as a now stay-at-home-mom, it now means washing clothes, baking bread, and cleaning up MegaBloks a gazillion times a day.  After the boys are in bed, only after the living room is tidied up and the clothes folded can I even think about sitting down to read.  When they lay down for their naps, only after the toys are at least stacked in neat piles can I work on some surveys.  I know this is crazy, because it's only going to become messy again, but it's so hard for me to not be distracted by the clutter!

In some ways, this works to my advantage because it's helped keep me disciplined (and my house relatively clean!).  But in other ways, it's a great disadvantage, because there is always, always something to do.  Isn't there?

Each day there are times when I intentionally read and/or play with the boys together and one-on-one, but for the rest of the day, they are starting to just play on their own, allowing me more freedom in caring for the needs of our home.  Of course, there is always the stopping to administer discipline (frequently), change a diaper (frequently), mediate an argument (unfortunately becoming more frequent), or rescue one of the boys from getting stuck behind the couch (depends on the day!).

Now, little Pearson is here with us, and as you might imagine for an almost 5-month-old, he doesn't really "play on his own".  In fact, he requires attention almost constantly, either from his own desires or in my need to keep Charlie from hurting the poor little guy!  (In Charlie's defense, he adores Pearson and is just trying to be sweet and loving, but I don't think Pearson is quite old enough for Charlie's kind of love!).  While this has thrown off the rhythm of my homemaking duties a bit, it's also fostered an environment of rest and worship throughout our home.  It  took me back to when Charlie was an infant and necessity demanded that I just move at a slower pace.

The revelation came last week: Charlie and Abe were playing with blocks, and instead of trying to get something done, I was holding Pearson.  I had worship music playing on Pandora, and I just sat.  From where I was sitting, I saw Charlie's high chair tray with the remains of his lunch still on it (and on the floor beneath it!) and a basket of laundry that needed to be folded.  But, I just sat.  I held this precious little baby and watched my sweet boys playing and sang along with the music.  I just bathed myself in the beauty of the moment and realized that it was okay to just sit.  Like Mary, sometimes we need to sit at the feet of Jesus and simply rest in Him.  

For me, this is separate from my morning devotion time (though it could certainly be incorporated into that time, too), but instead, this was taking a time that would normally have me "doing", like Martha, and instead learning to be like Mary.  Letting the work wait and letting the very presence of Christ fill my heart and my home.  And, I think it should also be said that this isn't time that I might "sit" in front of a screen, be it television, computer, iPod, etc.  No, this is sitting and doing nothing else other than thanking God for His blessings and enjoying His nearness.

Sometimes, there are deadlines.  In most cases, we have to eat.  But all that other stuff, it all eventually gets done.  Maybe it means you'll occasionally grab your clean pants out of the fresh-from-the-dryer laundry basket instead of your neatly organized closet, but that's okay sometimes.  Precious time with Jesus is worth wrinkly pants. 

 

Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village.  And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house.  And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching.
But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me."
But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

                               Luke 10:38-42
 

1 comment: