Yesterday was my birthday! 24 years old. It seems old to me, though I'm sure in the blink of an eye I'll be 40... It was a really good day. I'm so thankful for wonderful family.
Ryan has started getting emails from schools inviting him to complete their secondary applications! Pretty exciting. Some of the schools are selective about who they send them to, but most just send them to every applicant. So, even though people have not really been eliminated at this point, it is still a step closer. So far, they've been coming about 2 per day, so he's been able to work on them as they come and hasn't been too overwhelmed. I did a little research on the timetable we're looking at, and for most of the schools, the absolute earliest we could know is October 15. Most likely, though, we'll hear yes or no sometime over the winter months.
In my last post, I stated that I would share more about our journey. I don't want the posts to get too long so I'll go bit by bit. Some of the details and lessons learned are more personal, and I want to keep that just between Ryan and myself, so I apologize in advance if anything is vague. Anyway, here goes....
The Lord has blessed Ryan with a sharp mind and with the qualities of a leader. Combined with his fascination for science and creation, and his desire to interact intimately with people, medicine seemed like a perfect career choice. Ryan also had a passion for missions, and medicine seemed like a great entrance into oversees work, but it was also something that would serve him well should he stay here in the states.
When Ryan applied to medical school the first time (the fall prior to our wedding), he did so under the false pretense that he would certainly be admitted. And I, likewise, was certain that Ryan would get in without a single problem. Ryan had worked hard throughout undergrad, and had been heavily involved in volunteering and medical work. Statistically, he should have been admitted. Maybe we didn't really understand the fierce competition associated with medical school. Maybe, shamefully, we were a bit proud.
Well, he didn't get in. But, that didn't phase us. Yes, it was humbling to tell people that, but it was OK. We quickly set about to reapply. Another year went by, and it was during this year that baby Abe made his appearance. What a gift in the midst of uncertainty! Ryan got an interview, and we felt hopeful, but in the end, he didn't get in, again. I remember the devastation we felt when that final letter arrived. What now?
Alright, I think that's long enough for today! See ya soon :)
well what a cliff hanger, good thing I know the story! :0) No birthday details or girls camp.... Good job so far lysie!
ReplyDelete