Tuesday, July 6, 2010

10 Years!!

10 years of what, you ask? 10 years of no braces! I can't believe it's been a decade. It doesn't really seem all that long ago. The other day, I noticed a strong shifting in my lower teeth....it must have been happening for a while, but I never examined them close enough to tell. Anyway, I've been wearing my retainer at night for the past several nights in effort to revert the problem. It's been quite painful, and that's a bit of an understatement. All I can say is that I hope it's effective!! As I winced in pain one evening while pushing the retainer onto the teeth that don't really fit into it anymore, I realized that it's been approximately 10 years that I've been braces-less. Crazy.

I've also realized that at only my 3rd post, I've failed miserably at my goal of posting biweekly. I guess I'll have to be realistic and change my goal to ONCE per week. I suppose that is more appropriate.

4th of July was a tremendous success. We had a wonderful time, and Abram was absolutely enamored. As the fireworks ascended to the sky, Abram would raise his fists up. Then, as they went off, he made these grunting noises, as if he was mimicking the booms!! It was hilarious and strange and and precious all at the same time!

Well, regarding medical school, here is the next installment of our story:

We have now certainly been humbled as we have to explain for a second time that he didn't get in. Another humbling fact we had to face was Ryan's work. We are very thankful for his job, particularly in an economy where people are getting laid off regularly, and Ryan's boss is truly the best you can get, but it is certainly not a glamorous job, nor is it one that utilizes his skills or degree in any way. We have been able to live comfortably by managing our assets wisely, but neither of us jump for joy when someone poses the question, "So what do you do?"

We decided maybe we should start seeking an alternate route. People all around us were asking what we were going to do next, and humility took its toll again as we had to say that we didn't have a clue! We had NO idea what we should do or where we should go or what God wanted of us. Ryan spent a great deal of time searching for a job in his field (chemistry), supposing that perhaps he should just obtain a job and work here in Peoria. We pursued several other routes as well, but nothing seemed to be a match. The Lord was taking care of us, and we continually praised Him for his faithfulness, but with regard to our future plans, we were floundering. It was like grasping at straws, as if we were just trying every idea that crossed our minds, hoping that maybe something would finally work out.

During our time in search of perspective, several heavy events happened: a dear friend, Jordan Schroeder, was diagnosed with a voracious form of cancer. We have seen the power of prayer and faith in the Schroeders' life and have been blessed to call them our friends. A short time later, another friend, B.J. Elsasser, unexpectedly lost his young life, and ironically, his funeral coincided with the most profound medical miracle of our life: the birth of our son. While our friends were mourning at the funeral, I was laboring/delivering Abram. I pray that Abram has the same passion and joy for the Lord that B.J. did, that he proclaims the Truth without reservation as B.J. did. We love you and miss you B.J. These successive events of sickness, death, and new life began churning in Ryan's mind. Time passed.

Okay, I have some ironing to do! Thanks for reading.

1 comment: