Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Successful Day

Last week, Emily graciously offered to take Abram to her house to play with Brady for the morning so I would be able to have a little time to myself. I had a grand plan of all sorts of things I wanted to accomplish during my time, including quite a bit of laundry and cleaning. Soon after Abe was gone, I had started a load of laundry, cleaned the bathroom, and taken a few online surveys. Then, the Lord brought to mind a message I heard back around Christmastime regarding 'success'. It seems that the world we live in so often connects success to busyness and productivity. If we have a productive day, it must thereby also be considered a successful day, right? Isn't that why so many families and marriages today are suffering as parents seek more money and more success by spending long hours working instead of investing their time into the lives of their children? Isn't that why so many children are involved in soccer, scouts, basketball, ballet, gymnastics, French classes, tutoring, art lessons, orchestra, and a myriad of other activities as they seek to be more cultured and "successful" individuals? I suddenly realized that my tiny little baby bundle, who is already up over a pound from his birth weight, was growing more every day and would only be this little for a very short time. So, I got Charlie out of his bed and held him while he slept. And as the dust on the end table next to me became less and less important, I just sat and held my baby boy. I accomplished little else that morning other than holding him, kissing his teeny lips, admiring the perfect craftsmanship of his tiny fingers and toes, praying for him, and thanking God for the amazing gift of my son and of being a mother. 25 years from now, even just 25 days from now, when he'll look so much different than he does today, I'll be so glad I let the cleaning go and just held my little boy--I think, it was an incredibly successful day.

5 comments:

  1. I know your day "was incredibly successful" as Austin will be 18 next month. More than once I have longed to have him small enough again so that I could hold and love on him. Enjoying the moment in life is the best way to live. I enjoy reading your blog. May God continue to bless your family. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY successful!!

    -erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. You "get the picture" my dear! Doing the "right" thing (holding him and taking the time to pray) will yield far greater results than a "dust-free" home, which will only get dusty again. I continue to battle the urge to get it all done with a 17, 14 and 12 year old, and it was good to be reminded from a younger Mom of the importance of right priorities. Love you!
    Aunt Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are wise beyond your years Alyssa - and your family will be blessed for it. You are also a gifted writer - keep it up, it's a joy to "stay connected" with your family!
    U. Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very well said, Alyssa. I'll echo your U. Jerry: You are not only wise beyond your years but also a very gifted writer - keep it up.

    love
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete