He's enduring so much at the hands of his brother--for some reason Abe thinks it best to be just a millimeter away from Charlie's face whenever he has the chance! He also seems to think that trains are the very best companions--I find a train next to Charlie's head all the time!
The best we got from Easter morning...
Brothers:
On another note, remember how I told you I was going crazy over lemon zest lately? Well I just had to share about these tasty little cookies--Lemon Butter Cookies. Oh my goodness, they were SO amazing! My husband thought they needed a little more citrus-y flavor, but I thought they were buttery and light, with just the right balance of sweet and tangy. Thankfully, I made them for the Bible study guys who come over on Tuesday nights, otherwise I may have eaten WAY too many! Aren't they cute with the lemon zest up on top?!? The original recipe actually calls for lemons, oranges, and limes, but I only had lemons and oranges on hand and wanted to save the oranges for breakfasts and lunches. Thus, mine turned into Lemon Butter Cookies instead of Citrus Butter Cookies.
The recipe is courtesy of the Pioneer Woman (I LOVE her recipes!):
Cookies:
2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 c sugar
1 egg, separated
1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 c flour
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy and smooth. Add egg yolk and mix. Add zest and flour and mix until just combined. Add lemon juice and mix until fully incorporated.
Roll into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Don't allow the dough to spend too much time in your hands, or the heat from your hands can warm the butter and cause cookies to spread. Bake 12-13 minutes at 350 degress. Watch so they don't brown!
Allow to rest on cookie sheet 3-4 minutes after removing from oven, then allow to cool completely before icing.
Icing:
reserved egg white
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. milk (2% or whole)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
dash of salt
extra zest for garnish
Whisk or beat all ingredients until fully combined. Add powdered sugar as needed to achieve a thick but still pourable consistency. Drizzle over cookies and garnish with extra lemon zest if desired.
Yum!
Next week I'll update on our weekend in IL!! SO excited to finally head back!
HAHA! I have heard of other kids doing this to their little sibling, funny! (Oliver never did)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the pictures, I was sure after my scolding you would not disappoint :0)
xoxo,
erin