Friday, April 6, 2012

Life These Days

Life with two is wonderful!! And crazy, tiring, and downright exhausting.

I'm fairly certain that coffee is determined to become my enemy. At least fresh, hot coffee that is! Take the other morning, for instance, when I was up before the boys and made my coffee, ready to sit down and enjoy a cup in the quiet. Well, the quiet ended just before the coffee was done....and two hours later, when the coffee machine automatically turned off, I still hadn't had one cup. Or, like another morning, when I was ready to enjoy a cup and Abram climbed onto the table en route to his high chair, knocking my bowl full of cereal onto the tile floor. Instead of getting my coffee, I proceeded to clean up the shattered ceramic, cheerios, and banana slices that were formerly going to be my breakfast. At least I hadn't poured the milk yet...I was so thankful for that! Abe was very worked up about it and felt terrible for breaking "Mommy's bowl", so I spent a lengthy amount of time trying to calm him down and assure him that it was OK-that accidents happen!

Now on the other hand, the washing machine and I have become fast friends. The addition of a new family member who happens to poop and puke a lot has made sure of that!

Oh, and my hair--I'm getting it cut tomorrow. I've been growing it out for well over a year, it's finally nice and long, and now I'm cutting it. The daily abuse it suffers as it serves as a pull toy and a sponge for spit up has made me ready to see it go. Not to mention the fact that less on my head means less to wash and dry which in turn means more time at my disposal. Time these days is a most valuable commodity!

Most days, Charlie is a pretty good baby until it gets close to bedtime. Then he becomes a bit of a bear. Yesterday, however, he decided to be a bear for most of the day. When Ryan called at a little after 5, I assumed it was his usual "I'm on my way home" call. In fact, it was to tell me that he had to stay for a surgery and would do his best to leave by 7. A quick glance at the clock told me that I had two more hours by myself with these little rugrats, and I began to cry. I had been holding Charlie nearly all day because he had been so fussy, and my arms were just so weary. I did put him in the sling for a time, so my hands would be free to get some work done, but even that tires your upper back and shoulders after a while. As it turned out, Ryan wasn't able to leave the hospital until well after 8. I was beyond thankful when he finally walked through the door!

The day did have some redemptive moments though, like this photo:




And this video:




Once Charlie finally fell asleep for the night, he slept so well! I had the energy and gumption to rise early, exercise for a half hour, and shower before the boys woke up. It was a wonderfully fresh start to a new day!

Life with two is making me recognize my need for GRACE in a whole new way. Between a [VERY, as of late] ornery 2.5 year old who seems to thoroughly enjoy pushing the limits and a rather needy newborn, I'm leaning so heavily upon God to carry me through each day. And He does! He gives me grace for each moment. I feel like God is allowing me to see myself outside of myself, and reflect with accuracy on "how I do" in a day. Some days, I see that I did not exhibit the fruit of patience and love as I believe Jesus wants me to, and I pray for forgiveness and for God to continue making me more like Himself. And then there are other times, when I get to the end of the day and feel like I "behaved" in a Christlike manner and modeled Christ for my children as best as I know how. At these times, I praise Him for continuing to grow me and shape me.

But really, back to the beginning, when I stated that "life with two is wonderful"--it really us. Amidst the craziness, there are so many moments of euphoric joy that make me so thankful for these two boys, and so willing to give of myself for them!

Which brings me to today, Good Friday, as I consider how great of a sacrfice Christ made, when He gave up not just sleep or ease, but His very life, for a sinner such as I.

"For he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him. And when he is killed, after three days he will rise.”" Mark 9:31

Rejoicing for Sunday! He will Rise!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post...as we are in the same boat! I have a lot of the same feelings! We have the same picture of Abel and Molly in the tub together :) Abel loved it! Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete