It's the last post in my grocery challenge!
The last week (only 3 days) of May, here is what we bought:
Pick 'n Save
1 gal. Skim Milk: $1.99
Total After Tax: $1.99 (no tax on most grocery items in WI)
That's it! I was almost at the top of my budget, and I didn't really need anything anyway, so it all worked out! The only "perishable" item I could have bought was a bit more fruit, but I still had plenty in the freezer (I chopped and froze it from earlier in the month-great for smoothies, mixing into muffins, oatmeal, etc.), so we managed without.
Our meals:
Breakfasts:
oatbran muffins with peaches
cereal, strawberry slush
Lunches:
ants on a log, cinnamon toast
leftovers
Dinners:
chicken, spinach, and parmesan meatballs, barley risotto, peas
brown rice topped with mexican black beans, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese sauce
big pasta salad with veggies and shredded chicken, bread
Snacks:
popcorn, funny cake, teddy grahams, frozen blueberries
And for the final verdict:
The grand total: $149.68!!!
To most of you that doesn't seem like much, I'm sure, but it works really well for us now. We do recognize that as our boys get older, even in a few months when Charlie starts on solids, that the amount will need to increase. This month was unusual in that I didn't need baking powder, cocoa, spices, quinoa, oatbran, etc., items that I only purchase periodically, so that allowed us to enjoy a few special items, like ice cream, juice, and lunch meat. We don't buy soda, and I don't buy organic produce, though this is one area I would change if I could. While I don't think it's necessary on all produce, I would buy it on those items that have particularly high pesticide use, such as berries, apples, and greens. Our meals certainly aren't gourmet, but I do try to include new recipes and add extra flavor by incorporating strong spices, fresh herbs, and uncooked produce. Overall, I was pretty pleased with our meals for the month!
I confess that the whole "cash only" thing was pretty much a complete failure! While I still managed to stay within our budget, I swiped my debit card on a number of occasions--I had the cash right there in my wallet, but I guess I'm a creature of habit--I just pulled out that card! I really should have just left it at home, but I kept forgetting! I think when I'm preparing for the store, my focus is on having my list and coupons and making sure I have plenty of snacks, diapers, etc. for the boys.
Regarding the "Once a Month Shopping" approach, I'm not so sure. Had I actually spent the suggested 70% during that first major trip, I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of some awesome deals later in the month. But, I did like the freedom it gave me. Because I knew I had enough staples for our meals for a whole month and only needed to buy produce, eggs, milk, etc. to supplement that, I knew I could go ahead and splurge on a few extras and contribute to a stockpile in the freezer.
I think that sums it all up--thanks for following along with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment