Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Car & Computer Calamities!

Despite the fun of our Labor Day weekend (more on that in a later post), we came home to a bit of discouragement! I've been trying to think about how to write this post, because there is extensive detail I could go into on both the car and the computer. In fact, I had typed quite a bit of dramatic detail about how the car broke down, and I realized that if I continued along the same vein for the computer woes as well, I would (A) end up with a very long post, and (B), take away from what I really want to convey.

That I am exceedingly blessed.

Long story short, our car wouldn't start and was stuck in the MCW parking lot (the fourth major repair in a year's time), and our computer got a bad, nasty, horrid virus. Ryan got no studying done as a result, making his already hectic week even more crazy.

Monday evening, I was feeling rather discouraged. It probably didn't help that I had a pounding headache, we had lost all of our photos from the computer, and I was nervous about my impending dentist appointment the following morning--I dread all dentist appointments, but for this one in particular, I was worried I might have to have my crown repaired, another costly and unwanted need.

Early in the day, we had been fairly optimistic about it all, but as the day progressed, it became very strange and surreal, as if this dark shroud had enveloped our home. It was as if Satan was just waiting, using these few small things to wear us down and open an opportunity to attack.

Anyway, after we put the boys to bed, Ryan pulled me on to his lap and said, "I'm thankful for you."

"I'm thankful for you, too," I replied.

"I'm thankful for our boys," he said. "Okay, your turn."

"What is this, some sort of thankfulness exercise?" I said, a bit rudely.

"Yeah, go ahead. It's still your turn."

"No, I don't want to play."

"You'd rather wallow, huh?" my husband lovingly, and knowingly, asked.

"Yes, I would," I stated bluntly. (I know, I sound just awful!! Not my proudest moment here...).

"No, babe, let's choose the better way. If you don't want to think about what you're thankful for, then tell me, what could have made this day worse?"

I thought a moment and then answered, "If my family and Abe had been in a car accident on their way here."

He said, "If we had received a terminal diagnosis."

We went on, taking turns, and though we weren't listing things we were thankful for, it worked in reverse. By thinking of all the things that could have happened that were so much worse than a car repair or computer virus, I realized the obvious, that I had little to be down about. My current "trials" were nothing more than bumps in the road that would soon be resolved. Unlike many other mothers around the globe, I didn't bury my children today for lack of adequate food.

It was a good lesson for me. God has given us so much. Perhaps sometimes He just wants to make sure we're holding on loosely.



I am exceedingly, abundantly blessed.

"...For unto whom much is given, of him shall be much required:..." Luke 12:48


3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Alissa. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi alyssa!! it's been awhile, but i wanted to comment on this post. it's so encouraging!!!! thanks for sharing!! God is so good. i really, really enjoyed reading this. what a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Alyssa, thanks for sharing. I had heard in passing, from Shane (in Peo last wknd) about your car woes. Yuck! Sounds like our lawn mower (which I know is not near as necessary as a car). :) So glad God gave you and Ryan each other...God knows what we need in each other. Ryan's encouragment to you is just so awesome and so good for me to think on. I need to be this for my spouse! Love you guys :)

    ReplyDelete