I thought it had been some time since I'd given just a general update on our family and how our life is progressing, so I decided to go ahead and do that now...
This past weekend, we went to Illinois (again!) for Ryan's cousin's wedding. We jammed the weekend pretty full, spending all day Saturday with my family since we were unable to spend much time with them over Thanksgiving due to their trip to Florida. We went to Alex's Madrigal dinner on Friday, Saturday made lots of Christmas goodies, went to the Bible class Christmas play and the Festival of Lights (which Abe LOVED!), and Sunday we spent the day in Morton at the wedding and reception. Ryan had to spend most of the weekend studying, as he will be wrapping up his semester in just a week and a half. Still, it was a great weekend all around, and we were glad we were able to make the trip!
Regarding my pregnancy, things are going well, though with the start of the 3rd trimester, I've noticed a sudden decrease in my energy level! It probably doesn't help that my 2-year-old isn't sleeping too well at night due to a persistent cough, and I oftentimes forget that at 7 months pregnant, sometimes I need to rest! Pregnancy is one of the most rigorous tasks a woman's body will ever accomplish! I tend to just go and go, and then I'm suddenly hit with overwhelming fatigue. At my appointment yesterday, I had the gestational diabetes glucose tolerance test, and since I didn't get a phone call today, I guess I'm in the clear! I also received the RhoGAM shot due to my A-negative blood type. Baby's heartbeat sounded great, and I measured just right for 29 weeks; I'll now see the doctor every 2 weeks until the baby is born. As I type, he's rolling around like crazy, which I love most of the time!
Ryan has been studying pretty intently this week as he prepares to take his final exams next week. We've almost made it through the first semester! He is continuing to love the studies and is just so thankful for the opportunity to be where he is. I'm so thankful that amidst his crazy schedule, he still makes time for me and for Abe. I also appreciate so much his help around the house, whether it's taking out the garbage cans or making our bed if he has time before school. He has recently started leading the CMA Guys Bible study, so we've had a house full of boys over every Wednesday night. Abe and I just play in his room during the study, and it's fun to hear periodic eruptions of laughter!
Today was my last Young Mom's Bible Study for the semester; we'll pick back up again in late January. Having not been in a formal Bible study setting with other women since I was in college, I have tremendously enjoyed the experience! It's been a wonderful opportunity for Abe to be cared for in a safe environment while I can fellowship and learn with other women--so refreshing! I've been challenged as I see other women pursuing holiness and intimacy with Christ, and I've been encouraged as I hear their struggles along the way, particularly with child-rearing. We've all been very open and honest in sharing with one another which has made for a special closeness among our group. Most of the women are stay-at-home moms, though some do work part time. This has also been a source of encouragement to me: to be with other moms who are choosing to stay home with their children, even if it means sacrificing monetarily, as we have chosen to do. Other mothers, some even with advanced degrees, have also chosen to forego a career, at least for this season of their lives, in exchange for doing what they feel to be more needful at this time. I certainly pass no judgement on mothers who do work, as I believe the Lord calls us all to different roles and works, but for our family, it is where we believe me to be, and I am thankful to be a moment-by-moment caregiver and teacher for our son, hopefully modeling Christ for him on a daily basis.
And speaking of Abe, he is growing both in wisdom and in stature :) He seems to be learning new things every day! It's been amazing to watch his little mind take things in, understand, and apply. He also seems to be getting a bit taller which has made him terribly clumsy--Ryan said that it's a normal part of growing, as his body continually adjusts to new abilities, new heights, new weights, etc.--but the little guy sure seems to fall down a lot! He has also had a strong preference for Mommy lately, which although very sweet, is not always optimal! We try to have Daddy do things for him as often as the opportunity allows, things like getting him milk, putting him in his high chair, brushing his teeth, and so on. He also gets very jealous if Ryan ever hugs me, kisses me, or holds me....Ryan said this is also very normal, that most little boys Abe's age have what is known as the Oedipus Complex, a strong affection and preference toward their mothers. I just hope he grows out of it before too long!
Anyway, I suppose that's a good enough update for now. Until next time, God Bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment