Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving Break

Last week marked our long-awaited, first trip to Peoria since moving to Wisconsin in late July. I remember talking about this trip before we even moved.....about how much fun it would be to go "home for the holidays". I can't believe the first trip has already come and gone! I knew it would be like that--that just as soon as it started, it would be over. But, although it's already over, Ryan and I both felt like it was such a good time, that we did a lot and savored each day, enjoying being with our family. I loved having my hubby to myself instead of having him cooped up in his study room! It was wonderful to see him read, relax, and even play some video games with his brothers!

We spent Thanksgiving with Ryan's family and thoroughly enjoyed our annual Black Friday Celebration. For those of you who aren't familiar with this Funk family day of merriment, let me fill you in: we head out early in the AM to get some good black Friday deals, go out for breakfast, relax at Mom and Dad's for a bit, go to Ludy's for lunch, go pick out Mom and Dad's Christmas tree at a local tree farm, come home and set up the tree, relax and possibly nap, eat Raclette cheese and trimmings for dinner, then snuggle up in the basement for a Christmas movie. Throw in a few twists and turns and kiddos to care for, and it becomes both a wonderful and exhausting day!

My family was in Marco Island for the week, so we were only able to spend a short time on Sunday with them before we headed back to Wisconsin on Sunday. We're looking forward to spending more time with them next weekend, as we're going back to IL again for Ryan's cousin's wedding.

While we were back, a number of people asked us how "things are going". I am so thankful to honestly be able to report that things are going very well! I give God all the credit and am so thankful for His grace that sustains us. We were also asked how it felt to be back in good 'ol Peoria; the answer is that it felt really good, really familiar, really comfortable, but not quite like home. Yes, it's home, because it's the place where our friends are, the place where our family is, the place we both grew up in, the place we got married in, the place we welcomed our firstborn son in, the streets we've driven too many times to count, and the stores we've shopped at just as many times too. For those reasons, I was ready to load up a moving truck and come on back! But, there was also this feeling of "not where we should be", a feeling that is a bit difficult to really grasp but is there all the same. I know we are supposed to be in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, and I can see God blessing the path we are on there. For that reason, all the others, though still just as pressing, seem null and void. When we were nearing the end of our drive from IL to WI on Sunday night, I was excited to be back home.

Unfortunately I failed to take many photos, but here are a few to document some of our time:

On our drive down:




Riding in the jeep with Ollie:




I was sneaky and caught this video of the boys dancing with Abe, which they quickly figured out and quit!




"Fixing" Nana and Papa's wall:




Decorating Nana and Papa's tree:




It was a wonderful trip, and we're looking forward to Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. haha! i am so glad i was in the dark spot of that video. alex and ryan though... not so fortunate ;)

    ReplyDelete