Saturday, July 14, 2012

Discipline

Recently, Ryan and I have set about to instill a greater discipline in certain areas of our life. We sat down a few weeks ago and determined some things we would like to see changed, as well as some goals we would like to accomplish. One of my goals is to run a marathon! It seems so ambitious, nearly impossible to me, but why not? Why can't I do it too?!

About a month ago, our landlord (who lives below us) offered to let us borrow a TV cable box. His wife was on a reality TV show, and by hooking up the box, we'd be able to watch her on the show! He said we could just keep the box for a while and play around with it, and did we ever enjoy it! It was so fun and exciting to watch these cable TV shows! But oh, after about a week, did we ever hate it. It started consuming our time, and it was as though we couldn't just watch it in moderation. We completely lacked any sense of discipline when it came to the television. We just had to see which chef was eliminated on "Chopped", or we just had to see which house the couple chose on "House Hunters". We stayed up far too late and allowed hours every night to just slip away from us.

In and of themselves, there was nothing wrong with the TV shows. There is nothing innately sinful about watching someone go from house to house and decide which one they want to buy. So, the problem wasn't the activity necessarily, it was the time. It was our heart and our priorities. Satan caught an opportunity to deceive us and took full advantage. After a week and a few days, God enlightened our eyes and allowed us to see the folly of our ways. We remembered back to "the good 'ol days", how we were doing just fine before we got the box! We didn't even know who was competing on "Chopped", let alone who won! And what's more, we didn't care! We realized that we didn't need the box, and we didn't want it anymore either. We unplugged it and returned it to our landlord. For us, it was the best decision ever! Now, we've gained back the freedom of our evenings and not being bound to cable TV. If we decide to have a family movie night, it's novel and fun; it occurs infrequently which makes it a special treat.

Along the same vein of thought, we've taken into account the brevity of life and how it is that we want to spend our time. Yesterday at church, I heard a phrase that struck me. While seemingly obvious and simple, it was so profound. The phrase was this: "This morning marks the start of a new day; it is a day we've never known before." So often we get swept into the thinking that it's "just another day", but really, it's not. Far from it! Each day is one we have never lived before. The Lord's mercies are new every morning, and we can live each day how we want to live. While some circumstances are beyond our control, we possess the power in many things to make each day just how we want it. This was particularly challenging to me in regards to my attitude. I want to live each day to the fullest, loving my husband and children with such passion! If our time together should be cut short, then I'll be so glad I loved unconditionally and relentlessly! And, should we live long, full lives, then what had I to lose? I'll have lived a life full of love!

A few other areas we've sought to change are things like exercise, going to bed at a decent hour, and rising early. We've discussed that it's not something we want to be legalistic or overly rigid about, but rather just certain things that will allow us to accomplish what we want to do! If Charlie has a particularly rough night, I'm not going to feel guilty for choosing to sleep in a bit later. But, every morning I'm able, I want to follow through with our routine.

For the past three weeks, we've been rising at 5:30 AM. 3 mornings a week, Ryan goes running from 5:30 to 6 while I spend time reading my Bible and praying. At 6, we switch! On the off mornings, we've been doing weight training, squats, sit-ups, etc. It is so refreshing and beautiful to be up and give the Lord the first fruits of my day. As I've been out running, I've breathed in the fresh, cool air and seen the sun rise up over the rooftops. When I sit down to breakfast showered and dressed for the day, instead of just having stumbled groggily out of bed after my son served as my alarm clock, I feel fresh and ready to face the day with such vigor! It's been such a good couple of weeks, and though we're often tempted to choose sleep when the alarm clock rings, God has granted us grace to rise each morning.

I write all of this not to promote or cause disdain toward a certain lifestyle or activity, but rather to just serve as an encouragement. Make every day what you want it to be--It's been a beautiful for us!

1 comment: