Today's recipe:
Grilled Chicken Salad with Feta, Fresh Corn, and Blueberries
source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks

(We're currently in Illinois visiting family, so I do not have access to my own photos on our home computer. This photo credit goes to the original source, The Pioneer Woman. It's much prettier than mine anyway!!)
4 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Salt And Pepper, to taste
Olive Oil, For Drizzling
3 stalks Celery (inner Light Green Stalks), Finely Diced
2 ears Fresh Corn
1/4 whole Medium Red Onion, Finely Diced
1-1/2 cup Blueberries
3 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, Minced
4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
4 Tablespoons Sour Cream
1/4 cup Half-and-half
1 whole Lemon
1 teaspoon Sugar (more To Taste)
Salt And Pepper (additional) To Taste
3/4 cups Crumbled Feta
Place chicken breasts into large plastic storage bag. Pound with a mallet or rolling pin to flatten to 1/4 inch uniform thickness.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat grill and drizzle chicken with olive oil. Grill chicken on both sides until done, about 7 minutes per side. Allow to cool.
With a very sharp knife, shave kernels off each corn cob. Combine with the onion and celery. Set aside.
Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, feta, and half-and-half. Stir in sugar, squeeze in lemon juice, and add salt and pepper. Stir, then taste. Add more salt if necessary. Chicken salad needs a reasonable amount of salt, so don't be shy here!
Slice chicken to create flat, randomly shaped pieces. Combine with celery, onion, and corn. Stir to combine. Pour half the dressing over the ingredients and toss gently. Add more as desired.
At the end, toss in the blueberries to lightly coat them in the dressing. Serve, then sprinkle individual helpings with feta.
**I actually found this amount of dressing to be too much for our taste, so I was glad I only added a small amount to start. I also kept the feta separate from the dressing, which I was also glad for as I ended up discarding much of my leftover dressing.
**I used fresh basil instead of dill, because I couldn't find any fresh dill that looked nice! It was just lovely with the basil, but I'd like to make it again with the dill too.
We enjoyed it on top of crackers for a delicious and beautiful summer lunch!
So would this be a spin-off of Bruschetta??? It sounds like it and then you said you served in on crackers...I would think you could serve it with Lettuce like Granite City or on toasted bread...
ReplyDeleteSounds yummy...I commend your ability to see it, like it & actually make it. A lot of times I am too "lazy" to go to all that "work" especially for lunch & especially if it is just "us" at this point..maybe when the kids get older and appreciate finer things :0)
-erin
I love the pioneer woman! I've loved every recipe I've tried of hers! I would have never thought of adding blueberries to a salad, this sounds really good
ReplyDelete