Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Abe is 4 Years Old!

Abram celebrated his 4th birthday on Sunday.  I can't believe he is 4 years old already! 

Ryan had the entire weekend off, so we savored every second of our time together.  Friday evening we just hung out at home. 

Saturday morning, Abe and Daddy went down to the Farmer's Market to pick up a few items, and then they stopped at a candy shop on their way home!  Abe used some of the birthday money he had received to buy a few treats.  He chose: gumballs (for his machine); Swedish fish; chewy, cherry, sour balls; and multi-colored, chewy, sour balls.

While they were gone, Charlie and I frosted Abe's cupcakes!  He bounced around from one thing to the next when it came to selecting his birthday treat, but he finally landed on "monkey sprinkle cupcakes", so we made Monkey Sprinkle Cupcakes!  Charlie wanted one SO badly...he kept pointing at them, pressing his lips against the glass, and saying "cookie"!



The cupcakes turned out great!  There were about 6 different poses of these cute little monkeys!



By the time Ryan and Abe got back home, my parents and sister, Andi, had arrived to spend the day with us!  After hanging out for a bit, we headed to Kopp's for lunch, followed by a "second lunch" sampling fruit and cheese at Brennan's.

Kopp's--great burgers and custard:



We had planned to go to the beach, but the weather was SO cold.  It felt like late October!  So, we changed our plans and decided to go bowling instead.  Abe plays a subtraction bowling game from time to time, and recently, each time he played he would say, "Mommy, I want to go 'real' bowling sometime!"  So, real bowling we went!

It was so much fun and absolutely hilarious to watch him bowl!  My dad has great form when he bowls, complete with a graceful leg cross after he releases the ball.  Abe must have observed this, because pretty soon he was lifting his leg and then dropping his bowling ball!  On Abe's first turn, Charlie took off down the lane after the ball!  He was nearly halfway down before Ryan could grab him....he's a speedy little guy!  A video of Abe bowling:



Charlie loved all the different bowling balls:



Abe-ster:



Back at home: hanging out/naps, dinner, cupcakes, and presents!

My dad and Abe share a birthday--the birthday boys!



After they blew out their candles:



Enjoying his Monkey Sprinkle Cupcake:



Opening presents!  He got quite a haul--really neat and unique gifts!


After gifts, my parents and sister headed back home; we had such a great time with them.  We put the boys to bed shortly thereafter, and Ryan and I watched the movie Gifted Hands.  A very good movie! 
When it was over, we set out to decorate Abe's room for his official birthday the next day.  We snuck in to the boys room and covered it in crepe paper streamers and balloons.  It looked awesome!  But, the awesome idea was not very well thought through...Abe woke up in the middle of the night frantic because of the "net " that was all over his ceiling!  I spent the better part of the night sleeping beside him in his little twin bed, and as I laid there observing the streamers by the glow of the clock, I agreed that it was a little scary--parent fail!!  Of course, in the morning (when he could see it), he thought it was the coolest thing ever!  We let him open his gifts first thing in the morning and then had baked oatmeal (his request!) for breakfast.
With his new remote control car in the birthday room:



After church and naps, we went to Brady's birthday party (he and Abe share a birthday, too!).  Abe was a bit out of sorts, but he still seemed to have fun.  Here they are decorating their cupcakes, Abe's 3rd cupcake of the day, might I add...

Happy Birthday, Brady!  Abe is so happy to have you as his friend!



We finished our day with dinner and a boys/daddy wrestling match....

What a great birthday weekend for Abe! 

To my Abey-Baby (who isn't quite a baby anymore),

Happy Birthday, son.  Mommy loves you so much.  I have had such a fun time with you this past year, watching you grow and learn in extraordinary ways. You are so kind and thoughtful, so funny and witty, so tender and loving.  I am blessed to have you as my little boy.  Thank you for not just being my son, but for also being my little friend.  I love being with you, and with some of these long days we have with Daddy's work, I am so thankful to have you.  I can't wait to see what this next year holds! 

"May the LORD bless you, and keep you.  May he cause His face to shine on you, and be gracious to you.  May He lift His countenance upon you, and give you peace."  Numbers 6:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment