When Abe requested sprinkle cupcakes for his birthday, I immediately assumed I would just grab a box of funfetti cake mix. When I was in my 3rd year of college, I remember having funfetti cake a LOT for birthdays (or just because!), and I admit that I love it. But naturally, I had to at least look up a recipe for a homemade version, and when I realized that I already had everything on hand and wouldn't need to make a trip to the store, I opted for the homemade kind.
Verdict? A really good cupcake. I can't call them "funfetti" because they didn't taste the same to me, at all really. However, I would absolutely make this recipe again. The cupcakes were moist, fluffy, and very easy to make. As you might expect from a sprinkle cupcake, they were very sweet, but they were perfect for a 4-year-old's birthday!
Confetti Cupcakes
1 cup sugar
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
rounded 1/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting (preferably not non pareils, as they will bleed into batter)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in assorted sprinkles.
Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, careful to not overbake. Let cool, then frost with your favorite vanilla buttercream.
*For our cupcakes, I frosted with:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Cream butter until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and add vanilla, then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. Add cream and whip briefly. If necessary, add additional sugar or cream to achieve desired consistency. Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles.
source: adapted from How Sweet It Is
No comments:
Post a Comment