Friday, November 30, 2012

Royal Icing

The day is winding down, but it's still Friday, so better late than never! We had a really busy day, are finally home, and my little boys are sleeping (well, the oldest is supposed to be sleeping but is currently singing the "ABC's" in his room!), so I have a chance to sit down and write!

Earlier this week, Abe and I made some cut-out cookies. We had so much fun! Seeking an icing that would set quickly and firmly and look smooth and vibrant, I decided to try Royal Icing this time. It was perfect! As you can see from the photo, I certainly need some practice in using a steady hand in order to achieve a smoother finish, but the recipe itself is a winner. It is very easy to use, sets to a hard and crisp finish, tastes great, and makes decorating fun!


Below I'll list two versions of the recipe, one with egg whites and one with meringue powder. I used the egg whites, as I didn't have any powder, but if you are concerned about using raw egg whites, both versions of the recipe apparently work equally well. If you use the powder, you also have the flexibility of adding an extract of your choice (vanilla, almond, etc.) whereas the raw egg whites required the use of lemon juice which contributes just a hint of lemon taste to the icing.

The recipe is easily adaptable if you have trouble--just add a very small amount of powdered sugar or water to acheive the proper consistency. If icing is difficult to pipe around the edges, it's too thick. Flooding icing should run off the back of a spoon and disappear back into the bowl of frosting within 5 seconds. **When you're ready to frost, I would suggest visiting this post on Annie's Eats for a fabulous tutorial on how to use Royal Icing.**


Royal Icing

Royal Icing Using Egg Whites:

2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3-4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted

In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine egg whites and lemon juice. Add powdered sugar and mix on low speed until combined and smooth. Transfer to an air-tight container immediately as icing hardens when exposed to air.

Color icing as desired and frost cookies.


Royal Icing Using Meringue Powder:

4 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons meringue powder
1/2 teaspoon extract (vanilla, lemon, almond)
1/2 - 3/4 cup warm water

In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the confectioners' sugar and meringue powder until combined. Add the water and beat on medium to high speed until very glossy and stiff peaks form (5 to 7 minutes). If necessary, to get the right consistency, add more powdered sugar or water.

Color icing as desired and frost cookies.


recipe source: Joy of Baking

1 comment: