Friday, May 3, 2013

Springtime

I think spring has finally come!  This past week has been just beautiful, and we've been enjoying as much outdoor time as possible.  Abe has been enamored by the leaves budding on all the trees, and I'm right there along with him.  It never ceases to amaze me how they just seem to pop out overnight.  Suddenly, there is life again!

We grilled out for the first time this season on Sunday evening, and every day that has since passed has had Abe telling me how much he "liked watching the grill with Daddy", and asking to do it again!  I've told him that we'll try to do it as often as Daddy's schedule and the weather allows!

With the outdoor play has come quite a few bumps and bruises for little Charlie.  His little legs just get moving faster than the rest of him, and combined with an uneven driveway, he's taken some spills!  We were at the park over the weekend, and there was another little guy there who looked to be about Charlie's age.  I had to laugh, because his forehead had a few pavement scrapes, too!  I asked his mom how old he was, and he had just turned "1" a few months ago as well! 

One aspect about having two children that I hadn't anticipated was how the younger will try to imitate the older. Since Ryan and I didn't leap from the coffee table to the couch or climb up on to the kitchen counters very often, and we were his only role models, Abe wasn't inclined to try either.  With Charlie, on the other hand, he sees big bro doing all sorts of neat "tricks" (that he probably shouldn't be doing), and then he wants to try too!  I feel like I've been spending a lot time chasing him around just making sure he's safe!  I do think some things are best learned the hard way, but I don't think a little toddler falling off of a chair onto a hard tile floor is a very good combo.  So, the chase continues.

I did quite a bit of spring cleaning last week during naps and also re-organized the kitchen cabinets.  I think they're a bit more functional now, particularly for baking, since I do so much of it.  And, we rearranged our living room!  It seems so new and fresh.  Now Ryan thinks we ought to rearrange our bedroom...we'll see!  Quite the spring spruce up around here! 

With nice weather and Ryan studying later at school these days, the boys and I have been heading out to play a lot after dinner.  It's allowed for the opportunity to get to know some neighbors a little bit better.  Our downstairs neighbor's son, Jess, has also been coming up to play a few mornings a week before he heads to afternoon kindergarten.  He's just a year older than Abe, and Abe has enjoyed having the playmate! 

Ryan is just a week away from finishing his second year of medical school.  I can't believe it!  He'll then have 4 weeks to focus solely on preparation for his boards, on June 12.  He's excited but also wishes time would just slow down a bit!  I keep hearing him say, "Oh, so much to do, and so little time!"  I've been helping him study some evenings by asking him practice questions for boards.  I enjoy it because it allows me to be part of the process too, and it's a refreshing way of studying for him after doing it alone all day.  I am seriously blown away at how much he knows and how these past 2 years of learning have all come together!  If I read him a scenario about an individual coming in to the E.R. with symptoms XYZ and background XYZ, he can tell me what the most likely problem is, what is happening chemically/physically in their body that is causing the ailment, what sort of tests should be run to confirm a diagnosis, what should be done to treat it, what possible prescriptions can be offered, etc.  It's amazing and exciting!

Just a couple of pictures to close:






No comments:

Post a Comment